Friday 22 July 2011

Boys' Night Out

My year at the African Leadership Academy is over, but I’m going to start blogging again.

I haven’t posted for months because it took time and I needed a break; a short comic strip consumes an excessive 2 hours.

Yet there was another reason as well. ALA’s vision is to create the next generation of African leaders, the next generation of Nelson Mandela’s. Unfortunately, the path to Madiba-dom appears to be structured around an authentic yet occasionally chaotic parody of Mandela’s Robben Island years, and the gap years are not really warned beforehand. This creates, amongst other woes, cabin fever. In February I came up with a new academy tag line: “Prison with a vision”. This blog was a funny way to keep in touch, preserve memories, and make observations, but it was also my effort towards creating a mindset that would help me to survive the frustrations of taking my year off in a startup company with so many rules.

Yet as I grew to love the people at ALA I did not need this blog anymore, so it fell by the wayside.

A conclusion to tie things up is coming, but there are events and jokes that I would like to record. As a quick update, I spent the last month in Senegal, and finished ALA before that. Posts shall vary between the two topics, and will also feature cartoons that I drew in my (lined) notebook during the Senegal vacation.

And now for a couple comics.

The first one dedicated to my father, who often jokes that I should give my children properly Anglo Saxon names.

If you didn’t get it, don't worry, you have company. Ethelburga was a popular name about 1500 years ago. In fact, there is still a famous school with that name in England. On the bright side, if you didn't laugh at the pun, you can now laugh at the hilarious new name you've learnt.

The second is hopefully more obvious, provided that you understand the following sentence: "Imagine that Monopoly had an ALA edition."






*There are three ingredients to success: talent, chance, and 10,000
hours of practice. At ALA, we replace chance with opportunity.







later that night...









No comments:

Post a Comment